“People acting together as a group can accomplish things which no individual acting alone could ever hope to bring about.” – Franklin D Roosevelt
This is precisely what we strive for with UNICEF Kid Power. While each of us has our own strengths, we know we are infinitely stronger when we combine forces and work together as a team. And a fun-loving, diverse team we are!
We are leaders and we are partners. We are educators and we are students. We are changemakers and, sometimes, we are rule-breakers.
Above all, we are champions for kids everywhere.
We’d like to introduce you to the core team behind our UNICEF Kid Power Schools Program. We wear a variety of hats—often many at the same time!—so that each student can be inspired to activate their inner kid power. Like our world’s children, we come from diverse backgrounds, but we share a common belief that children really do have the power to make a difference in this world.
We also adore teachers! And we want to give our very best to all our Kid Power “Coaches.” You are the ones on the front lines, doing the hard work of nurturing the next generation of global citizens. We promise to always do everything in our power to support you!
* * * * *
MEET ALLYSON – Connector, Research Wonk and Trendsetter/seeker
- Childhood nickname: Allysunny or Sunny (and it sticks today!)
- Favorite subject: History
- Favorite book when I was a kid: The Mrs. Piggle Wiggle series and anything Roald Dahl
- Childhood hobby: Tap dancing, volleyball and swimming
- Best known around the office for: Running 100 miles
- Favorite way to earn Kid Power Points: Running & trying to keep up with my 3-year-old
- Motto: It hurts less when you smile!
- Shoutout to favorite teachers: Mrs. Walter (K), Mrs. Morrill (4th Grade), Mr. Rothschiller (7th Grade Zoology), Mr. Baird (Physics!), and Professor Terraciano (History).
MEET ANDREA – Curriculum Guru & Global Expert
- Childhood nickname: Ang
- Favorite subject: Social Studies and English
- Favorite book when I was a kid: The Giving Tree
- Childhood hobby: Hide-and-go-seek, bicycling with roller blades on
- Best known around the office for: Gourmet lunches brought from home
- Favorite way to earn Kid Power Points: Retracing steps after getting lost while wandering
- Motto: Be the change you wish to see, and be the light you were made to be!
- Shoutout to favorite teachers: Mr. Bambrick (5th grade), Miss Collins (10th grade)
MEET JEANETTE – Chief Strategist, Motivator and Kid Power Know-It-All
- Childhood nickname: J.P. (short for Jenny Pooh). [Permission to use limited to her mom.]
- Favorite subject: English Literature and History
- Favorite book when I was a kid: The Diary of Anne Frank
- Childhood hobby: singing, dancing and putting on shows
- Best known around the office for: (trying) to make everyone laugh
- Favorite way to earn Kid Power Points: Long walks around New York City’s beautiful and diverse neighborhoods
- Motto: “Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.” -Mark Twain
- Shoutout to favorite teachers: Sister Rosemary Wood (4th Grade) Ms. Libresco (11th Grade U.S. History)
MEET KIRA – Ace Organizer, Trick-or-Treater and UNICEF Maven
- Childhood nickname: Kiki
- Favorite subject: Science!
- Favorite book series when I was a kid: Nancy Drew
- Childhood hobby: Jump rope, skip-it, and swimming
- Best known around the office for: Sharing cute photos of her dog
- Favorite way to earn Kid Power Points: Walking said dog!
- Motto: Strive for equity
- Shoutout to favorite teachers: Dr. Schiller and Woody
MEET MELISSA – Master of Tech, Data & All the Finest Details
- Childhood nickname: Sa
- Favorite subject: English
- Favorite book when I was a kid: Where the Sidewalk Ends
- Childhood hobby: Skip-it, riding my bike, and making forts with the couch cushions
- Best known around the office for: Humming to myself without knowing it…
- Favorite way to earn Kid Power Points: walking around the city, yoga, the occasional run
- Motto: Meet the moment.
- Shoutout to favorite teachers: Mr. Robertson (3rd & 4th grade)